Vacation Vibes

 Hello Fit Fam,



    I recently returned from a lovely vacation at the beach and wanted to share some thoughts on how your fitness goals do not have to suffer while getting in some much needed and deserved rest and relaxation. 

    I spent a week at the beach with my family and we had a blast from visiting the aquarium, to trying some delicious local food (oyster are my personal favorite whenever I am near the ocean), and spending a few full days on the beach. But the best part of my trip was still prioritizing my fitness goals while enjoying myself and family time! Now I am a little spoiled because I had the support of my family to watch my daughter while I worked out. I made sure to bring all the necessary equipment I might need and I also did a little research on the area to see what was around to make sure I could get the types of workouts in that I wanted before we traveled. 

    Since I am training for a triathlon I needed to bring my road bike, running shoes and I even planned for  an open water swim in the ocean which I was unable to get to due to water conditions and time. I got to cycle for to a beautiful spot that ended on a peninsula. I got to run at sea level which is always a plus. I even did some running on the beach which is great conditioning if you have not tried it. I think what made my goal so achievable is I planned out what I wanted to do and I gave myself the grace to miss a workout or two if it did not fit within my family's plans for the day. 

    Traveling often stresses people out and causes issues when it comes to your health and fitness goals. In the past I have let it through me off track and mess up my training, but this time I was determined to stick with my plans. Here are my simple tips for making your fitness goals fit in your vacation plans.


1. Plan out your trip timeline. What is your schedule going to look like day to day for the duration of your trip? If you are like me, you don't like to plan a lot on beach vacations, so workouts can be flexible in your day. I often plan for being lazy at the beach for most of the day which is perfect for fitting in your workout! You can get up earlier in the day and workout or you can save it for the afternoon when maybe you've had enough sun and sand!


2. Bring workout clothes. Make sure you have clothes that will allow you to get your workouts in. This is super important if you do not have a washer and dryer where you going. A little extra laundry when you come back is not going to hurt you!


3. Ask for support from your family. Explain to your family this is a priority for you and maybe you can get them to join in on the fun. Or if you are like me and have a little one, asking for help to watch your child while you workout is a must! Support for your health and wellbeing is needed whether you are on vacation or not, so make sure you talk to your loved ones about your goals so they can be your cheerleaders.


4. Don't be afraid to say no to things like alcohol or staying up super late. Yes you want to enjoy yourself on your vacation but when you set the priority to workout and put yourself first you shouldn't feel guilty about that!


5. Don't sweat the misses. If you miss a workout or if you end up taking a bunch of days off thats okay. You deserve this break and maybe its exactly what you needed for your mental health. That just means you get to jump right back in tomorrow or when you return home!


    I think working out on vacation can be an easy and manageable task to achieve. You have to figure out your priorities and stick to your plan. The worst that will happen is you go with the flow and make up a new plan once you see that the beach has workout equipment or you can use your bodyweight for a HIIT workout, or who knows maybe you find a beautiful path on the beach with the breeze blowing in your face and you can enjoy a long walk/run. Workouts can look so many different ways especially on vacation. Get creative and what fits in you vacation vibes.

    If you are in need of creative workouts for your next vacation. Always feel free to hit me up for a workout plan! NewLizFitness has got your back!


Stay Calm and Exercise On

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work, Motherhood, & Life

Hydration is Key

A Year Ago...