Ready or Not Here I Go

 Hello Fit Fam,



    I am coming to you live from Wilmington North Carolina, as I am about to embark on first every half Ironman! This race has been the focus of my fitness training for the last 3 years and I am ready to race it! I was packing to make the trip to Wilmington and I had this rush of emotions thinking about what this weekend will feel like. I went from ready to not ready to excited to nervous to frantically packing to saying if I don't have it oh well. I realized I am a mixed bag of emotions right now and it is scary! Scary to think of all the things that could go wrong, but also all the things that could go right and realizing maybe I am as ready as I will ever be!

    I have never been one to talk much about mental health as it relates to fitness. I think exercise equals endorphins which make you feel good, end of story. I am quickly realizing that is not the end of the story. I have always loved competing in sports from middle school up until now. Some were more serious and competitive than others and some were just for fun. I would say I am currently a recreational endurance athlete. I enjoy the challenge of the long distances and the mental toughness it takes to complete these races but I am not looking to win, break records or qualify for any higher level competitions. I do it because I can and the excitement it brings me when I complete a new distance. 

    As I walked into the race expo to get my packet and timing chip, it was hard not to compare myrself to the other athletes. I know being in shape or healthy doesn't look one certain way but it doesn't mean I wasn't looking at all the other athletes making comparisons about their equipment or their physique and honestly not feeling adequate compared to everyone else. I am constantly reminding myself that these athletes are here to race their race and I am here to race mine. I don't need a podium to tell me I am good enough because I know I am. I have a plan of how I want to complete this race and will stick to that exact plan. I may not have the snazziest wetsuit or the fanciest bike or the fastest running pace, but I know what I am capable of and I plan to compete to the best of my ability.

    Thinking about my past experiences as a personal trainer, it is hard to tell people how to feel in regards to physical fitness. I personally feel like I have done the work and I am ready but that doesn't keep me from having all the mixed emotions of not feeling strong enough, fast enough or good enough to be competing in this race. I know we all go through that feeling in different settings when it comes to our fitness. Doubt, fear and anxiety can cause us to think we are not capable. I am choosing to not doubt myself tomorrow. I am choosing to tell myself yes! Yes I will complete this race. Yes I will complete it to the best of my ability. Yes I am able and capable!

    To anyone out there doubting yourself, don't! You have so much potential in you to do whatever your heart desires. Believe in yourself and what you can accomplish, who knows you might surprise yourself on the results.


Ready or Not Here I Go!


Stay Calm and Exercise On

~ Liz ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work, Motherhood, & Life

Hydration is Key

A Year Ago...