It Takes a Village

Hello Fit Fam,



    Have you ever looked at those "super parents" out on social media or at your local school, church, grocery store, or neighborhood? They are the one that seems to have everything together and never needs help and in fact they even helps other out more often than not. They are the ones who come prepared, stay prepared and can predict when things are going to go wrong. It also feels like they do it all themselves. Well I have two theories! Either they are actual super heroes or what I actually think is happening is they have a village!

    We have all heard the phrase "it takes a village" to raise children and I could not agree more! Speaking from my very limited experience over the last year and a half, I had a village and I could not have done it without them! From my husband, to my immediate family to in laws to friends, they have all contributed in so many ways. I have accomplished more than I thought was possibly because of the unconditional support of the people in mine and my daughters life. 

    Over the last year I was able to stay at home with my daughter full time while still maintaining my life goals. I trained for and completed a half ironman, I was able to do some part time work as personal trainer and group fitness instructor, I also got to get out of the house and be just me for a couple hours! As parents we often forget our identity. It feels like so long ago that I only had to worry about me. Then came my husband, then a dog and now a child. Don't get me wrong, I would not trade any of these components of my life for anything. There are, however, somedays that these things do add stress to my life. I find myself needing to take a step back and take a deep breath to let go of the stress and hold on to the positive. 

    As a spouse, a mother and a woman I often feel I am chasing perfection. To be the best version of myself all the time and the reality is we are all imperfect beings. I shouldn't be ashamed that I am not dressed fancy or have my make up done, or god forbid my daughter spills something on her clothes. All these things are a normal part of my daily life and should not be judged or frowned upon. I also should not try to do it all on my own when I feel like I am drowning. So I challenge any parent out there that feels like they are doing it alone, ask for help!

    Asking for help doesn't mean you are weak or bad at being a parent. It just means you need help and that is okay to admit it. If I felt bad for every time family has helped me out I would give myself a big F as a parent, but instead I am using the resources around me to help me get through the day. I like to call it thriving at surviving. There are days that I am simply surviving but I'd like to think I am thriving at surviving, meaning I'm really good at just surviving haha!

    I say all this to remind you to stop, take a breath and know that you are doing everything you can. You are a good parents and so am I, even on the days I don't feel like it! You are capable of overcoming the stress and frustration that you are currently facing. And if you need help, ask for it! I am here! Let me help you, especially if it relates to your health and fitness. Take the time you need to be the healthiest and happiest version of yourself. And please if nothing else reach out to your village! You might be surprised at how helpful they can be!


Stay Calm and Exercise On

~ Liz ~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Work, Motherhood, & Life

Hydration is Key

A Year Ago...